Nag

Beginner Raid Weekend - March 12-13

Hello! If by any chance you need one more person for Saturday or a revenant (herald), I would join as well.

IGN: Carolinea.4671 character called Eirra Wolfborn

Experience: Tried the mechanics only, haven't succeeded yet.

Class: Herald

If there is free spot: Saturday

Edited by Carolinea

Okay, final raid setups posted.

...I did it. EVERYONE got in (with the exception of zrangon, sorry, by the time you had posted the raid schedule was 100% done). EVERYONE.

However, remember that it is still very possible that there will be people who cannot show at the last moment, so if you're in only the Sunday raid, feel free to come hang out before the Saturday raid to see if a spot suddenly opens, and vice versa.

It's 100% possible that I've screwed something up - forgotten someone, put someone on a day they didn't want to raid on, put someone on a class they don't have etc. Please give me any such feedback as fast as possible, so I can try to fix it. If your name isn't there, that is just because I forgot you (because I am silly), so please correct me.

Also, some people are in both Saturday and Sunday raids. There is always a reason for this, and I assure you these reasons are always very fair and thought-through and all that. No, it is not because someone mailed me 100 gold, that does not work. If you are set up on both days though, but don't want to (or can't), please tell me that as soon as possible too.

We will meet up in the Group Channels -> Group 1 room on the OpenCommunity TeamSpeak (ts.gw2oc.com if you don't already have it, but of course you have it!). Please try to meet up 15 minutes before the event starts <3

Apart from that, remember, this is a training run, so you need patience and good attitude. You may not get a kill at all. There may be many wipes. However, there'll be Fun and Learning.

Hope to see you all there!

Edited by Nag

Mmm, I understand that there is probably no place already, but I wanted to be at both days, but I am only on Sunday in the schedule and wanted to be at both days DDD:

But yeah. I will come before Sunday's raid thingie, maybe there will be a spot ^^

It's the Raid Organizer's sorrow - they can try their best to make things work, but they can't make everything perfect. I had to make some tough choices, and those that "get to do two days" are generally those that were strictly needed to fill certain roles that we had too few people signing up as (healers, condis etc.).

As a reminder, mailing me 100 gold will not help.

(To anyone wondering: It is a joke. Please do not mail me 100 gold even as a joke, I'd be flagged as a gold buyer)

• Upvote 1

An update: It was pointed out to me that I had forgotten to include Eis Lue Mirage in the schedule. I was able to re-arrange it so that they're in Raid 1 today (Saturday).

Apologies to Dausen; you were originally scheduled to run Condi Warrior on both days, but I had to move you to Sunday only. I hope I can be forgiven.

If anyone finds any other mess-ups, don't be shy, tell me and I'll do my best.

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for today and Nag and all experienced folks for organising this. My team didn't get a kill, but it was fun and I believe we learned a lot. I hope we can repeat this in the future :3 (hopefully I won't get downed by then so much, I think I know what I have to train to get better in this)

• Upvote 1

Thank you for coming and making the stuff awesome!

I don't know if we will be able to repeat the event - I, too, hope that we can - but it will depend on my future schedule, as well as that of others. Stay tuned, I guess.

On that note, there's still tomorrow's raids, and one of our PS Warriors had to back out. That means we would very much want one volunteer who can play PS Warrior for the raids starting tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:00 CET! It would be greatly appreciated.

It would be lovely if you could show in the TeamSpeak tomorrow, then, and we'll sort out who's there and who can do what.

Erk, didn't spot that in your post. My bad.

Show up on TS today too, though, if someone doesn't show we'll make it a priority to get you in.

:/

As for other events, the current answer is that "We would like that, but we're not sure if we can make the time currently." Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

And that concludes the event! Despite no groups actually getting kills, I would cautiously call this a pretty great success.

A lot of people got to see the raid for the first time, or practice roles and classes they weren't familiar with. There was significant, constant improvement from everyone I was grouped with, and going by feedback from the other group leaders, it seemed like this was the case for everyone. There were several tries that got to last phase and/or survived until hard enrage, which is quite an achievement for raids comprised almost entirely of beginners.

So - thank you for everyone who joined! I hope you learned a lot, had fun, and got to see for yourself if raids is something worth getting into or not. Hopefully, now that more people have seen it, we will have more people interested in joining or making their own raid groups. Remember, practice makes perfect!

As a side note, I also hope that these runs demonstrated why "meta" builds, who often were disregarded as "elitist" or such before, are actually very nice tools to enable you to complete raids that require a lot of personal and group-wide performance. Fortunately, a lot of the most "meta" builds are also really fun to play! \o/

As for the future, I know that next week is a no-go for me, so we'll have to see what the future brings. While I cannot guarantee anything on my schedule, I will keep you updated if I can free up enough time to organize a second event.

tl;dr: Thanks for coming. Proud of y'all.

• Upvote 2

Cheers for the second group leader from both days, I can agree with everything Nag said. It was a nice learning experience of leading a raid group for me as well and reminder of things that you need to say out loud. Good job and effort for everyone and I'm positively sure that everyone walked out with learning a bit of something new! I'd be thrilled to see new group leaders emerge from the people that joined us this weekend. ^^

• Upvote 1

Erm, I hope it doesn't count as advertisement and it won't trigger enrage on mods (if the post breaks any rules - delete pls).

But, for all those who are late to the raiding party, stuck in the "need experience to experience raids" loop, I'd like to bring to your attention the Raid Training Initiative http://rti.enjin.com/

Basically, it's a non-rep hub guild for those who want to start raiding but can't because Eternal over 9000LI in LFGs nowadays (and I can add from experience it's really hard for find a raid teaching guild on EU).

Tbh I am surprised it took us so long to get this thing going, NA afaik had the same thing running for months.

The main advantages I see are that:

1. You are starting in a mix of new, semi-experienced and experienced players, so no one will shout at you/instakick you because of your mistakes, but you have people to learn from.

2. Their event schedule with the current sign-up system seems to be pretty effective in reducing another main problem - getting 9 other people for a raid.

To be frank, I suspect there is some potential in collaboration... cooperation... (my engrish, what it the correct word?) between communities like theopencommunity and guilds like these.

Apparently they also will be happy to welcome any mentors/experienced players willing to teach.

/rant

• Upvote 1

In-gamer name: Yoleh

Experience: I've had a shot at VG with TKT a few days ago, didn't get past 50% but had quite a lot of fun and learning curves.

Classes: Ranger/Druid, I am familiar with these raid builds:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_A/T_Condition
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Raid_Healer

I'm a fast learner and can adjust easily to new builds and playstyles if required.  I'm available both days at the weekend.

1 hour ago, geekgirl101 said:

In-gamer name: Yoleh

Experience: I've had a shot at VG with TKT a few days ago, didn't get past 50% but had quite a lot of fun and learning curves.

Classes: Ranger/Druid, I am familiar with these raid builds:

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_A/T_Condition
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Raid_Healer

I'm a fast learner and can adjust easily to new builds and playstyles if required.  I'm available both days at the weekend.

Thanks for your interest, but this event ended the weekend before last :P