Ki Ste

What's your name again?

I wanted to post this a long time ago but i kept delaying it for no reason.

Soo, all of us have a names we are known by, whether it's account, toon or forum name and I've noticed that every single one is unique and have it's own meaning. But it's up to you to tell us what hides behind your name. ^_^

Edited by Steki

Oooh, this is one must-stalk topic! :D

I have my nickname Junkie based on my real name though only 2 first letters are the same. If the name is not available, I use Reeloy or Reeloyk based on always-so-famous Leeroy Jenkins.

Most of my charracters have Finnish firstname and Winter as a warband. I had an idea of charr warband which I could write fictional storys and stuff but it kinda didn't happen. Some of those charrachers are Kiiruna Winterbow (Kiiruna = bird specie), Ikiuni Winternight (Ikiuni = Eternal sleep) and Riemu Wintershadow (Riemu = joy). Though my revenant is called as Kalima Miststrike because it sounds cool and I like Kalima- name, and my mesmer is called as Halla Hunterscream, Halla means frost and Hunterscream I got from Left 4 Dead game.

On the other hand, non-charrs are somehow Reeloy-related (Reeloyted hoho) and my warrior, for example, is called as Reeloy Kenjins and necro asura as Reyloy.

• Upvote 1

Well then. How did I come up with Arvinthir?

In one of the worlds I made up, Arvinthir is diety that is just sort of there. Nobody knows if he/she/it actually exists or what they do. A while after that, I started using it as my username/ign. I was always just sort of there as well. :P
The name itself (as you may have noticed) was heavily influenced by Tolkien's Arwen.

Aside from that, other names I have for my characters usually feature short names, taken from Greek, or, more often still, Latin. (There's one thing four years of Latin didn't make me hate.) My norn is Nix FireThought (you know, because she lives in snowy lands), Ira Alfrell (took a word from Paolini's dwarvish, the nice and cute little salad who occasionally gets angry and kills everyone with shiny mesmer stuff).
In the past, I also often simply used names from different myths. I'm fond of Nidhogg, Nesoi, Alke, Nyx, Eris and others (I can't remember right now).

Calia, Tamarys, and simmilar, are just names I thought up.

• Upvote 1

From a drow name generator: 

Min/Ran : Lesser, minor, second 

-ithra/-irahc : Dragon, serpent, wyrm 

I tried for a variation that was more "Dragon Goddess" but I don't remember why it didn't work. Perhaps too tongue-twisty. 

• Upvote 2

Ow, Jomika is one of my middle names irl and has been a nickname since I was like 8? I'm the only one in Sweden who's named that since my mum made an anagram of my  fathers name Joakim and well, not really a fun story but it's unique. However, on some sites it's stolen (and somehow never used, ppl just claim it and never use it - yes I'm looking at u instagram!!! /upset) so I'll just add my birthday date.

All my characters are called N*** Knox, where Knox comes from the movie Natural Born Killer (the main characters are called Mallory and Mickey Knox).
I started using that combo of names when I was lacking name-inspiration and now I can't rly stop. -.-

I guess my main is Navi Knox and if u do not know where Navi comes from I'm quite disapointed.
Noel is a tribute to my main in Tibia. Nero, Nora and Nori is just 4 letter names that started with N. ^^

• Upvote 1

So, Isadora Miau came by in a strange way. It's a combination of dancer Isadora Duncan and a character from an italian movie Le Streghe from the 60's which is made of a combination of short movies. The character I liked most came from the short by Pasolini and she was a green haired lady who married a weird little man who had the last name Miao which sort of sounds like "miau/meow" the sound cats usually make.

Idk, I just thought it made for a cute name :)

• Upvote 1

My "family" name for characters I suppose you could say is/has been Dias for as long as I can remember. Guild Wars 1 was my first MMO and I mained a Warrior called Sithicus Dias there too. I can't remember exactly how I came up with Sithicus, but I liked the way it sounded almost Ancient Greek (PerseUS, OdysseUS, CephalUS, TheseUS... SithicUS? :D). 

Dias however is the modern Greek name for Zeus, and it also seems to roll off the tongue really nicely as a second name.

Other than those, I sometimes steal inspiration for character names from the Fire Emblem series, such as the names Rath and Tharja :)

I came up with Lacie when i wanted to register on a text rpg, because the internet nickname I had at that time was unfitting for a character from fantasy universe. And of course I remembered that there was this anime with a melody called 'Lacie'... and my first rpg character was born :D Back then I didn't know that it was a legit name or a name of some character that would come up later in the series, and now I am stuck with it as every other account of mine on various sites is called either that or some slight variation of that... Also it's the only nickname I'm used to being called by, although lately I really wish I could change it to something better. Funny fact is that even after all this time of using it, I still don't know how to pronounce it right. 

As for the name of my characters in game, it's basically a random process... I usually create a character up to the point of choosing a name and then I just write the first thing that comes to mind. Sometimes I use a name generator, choose some random name and then alter it a little. For first names I overuse y, sh, th or ae a lot (Aleith, Saythes, Laera) and for last names I try to combine some english words fitting for the chosen race (Firelder, Nightseed) or in case of my norn necro just think of some name sounding 'nornish' (Ehelsorn). The only excepcion so far is my mesmer Laera Nass, Nass being an actual surname I wanted to use for another character in a text based rpg and my asura elementalist Laichu Phase, which was a result of me playing too much Pokemon X/Y (hint: I tried really hard to make her as orange as possible) :D And as for my main Seyana Ice, there wasn't really any thought process... I think I just thought that guardians looked really icy and Seyana was probably some random name that popped up :)

i started using promith in "soldier of fortune 2" my first main fps game as i used to use promethius but was too many characters and it just kinda stuck . My other character name is crazyscot and use that because i am Scottish.

The meaning behind my name is uh, less than interesting.

My name is actually Len and like Sithicus, the common family name I use is De L'eau/Kinzoku 

Eliden De L'eau pretty much translates to "small one of the water"

nothin too meaningful or deep ~

When I started playing GW1 I looked around the internet and generated some names probably before I managed to stick 2 together to make Lairin Azlyn.

My other known name was Elemental Sora when I made what would become my main, which was influenced from Kingdom Hearts ^^;

All of my characters have names from my book series, which I am still writing, to this day. It also explains why they look a bit weird. The only deviation is in my Charr characters. The first names are from my series, and then I put a warband name as a second.

EDIT: Okay, I realise that's a cop-out, so I guess I'll write a few more things about each character.

1. Dausen is the name of a blacksmith in the series, Dausen Skerdin. He's not a main character, hardly even a secondary character, but I was sure that his name would be approved in the CC. I've developed the character a lot more since then though, thanks to the relevance.
  2. Draksen Skerdin, my necromancer, is obviously related to Dausen. Familial bonds and such. In the series, Draksen is a priest, especially responsible for funeral rites. Not the most grim and dark character, really. Just a bit scruffy.
  3. Grobin the Stern, my mesmer, is based on a character called Grobin Begravas, who is part of the leadership of a region in the books. Doesn't make many appearances, but it's known that he's one of the less strict leaders, much to the chagrin of the others.
  4. Pasia Amberclaw is based on a character (human, at that), named Pasia Setren, main authority of a neutral faction in the story. Since she has abilities relating to fire, I went with Amberclaw as her warband name.
  5. Osrik Towermane, my guardian, is actually named after two characters. Osrik Sorran, the father of the leader of a desert clan of sorts, and my old Tauren Shaman from WoW, Towermane. Just liked the name for him in this case. No connection between the three whatsoever.
  6. Isker Softpaw, my ranger, is named after a character called Isker Sielas, who is also with the neutral faction. They have nothing in common though, other than the first name. Softpaw was given to him because of his silent walking.
  7. Rovar Intiol, my revenant, is named after a character with the exact same name, who is part of an insurgent faction in the story, fighting against the main military force of the realm. His abilities are kinda similar to a revenant's, so it works.
  8. Erion Tursen, my thief, is named after a character that is also part of an insurgent faction, only not the same as Rovar. There are many rebels, for many reasons, really. He is limited geographically though, remaining with his people in a village, and resisting the pressure from the nearby cities.
  9. Shimira Augusen would relate more to her story namesake if she were a ranger, but using a rifle requires a keen eye as well. Her namesake lives in the mountain region, and she is exceptional with the bow. She's also part of a military squad that resides in an overlook of the mountain and keeps watch for any strangers approaching.
  10. Kasian Diaken's namesake is a character that has a rather important role in the series. He's part of a royal guard in one of the regions, and before that he was one of those that made sure that there was still a region for someone to rule.
Edited by Daus

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org