Lelling

Minecraft Ideas & Suggestions thread

This thread is the place for any ideas & suggestions for the Minecraft server - before posting, please read the list below and check if your suggestion has already been made in the past!

Updated 1.9.2018

DONE

• Spigot (Paper)

PLANNED

SUGGESTED

• Upvote 2

Some sort of protection against thievery would be nice aswell. I know it didn't happen often, but as I heard it did happen.
Map of the server, Some sort of resource world/area for gathering materials to prevent the destuction of the original landscape, personal portals, some way (not neccessarily easy or quick way) to obtain hard to find and not replenishable items (such as saddles, shulker boxes, elytras etc.) was mentioned on Discord aswell earlier I think.

If a lot of animals cause the lags, a solution could be an animal farm which had lots of spawn eggs of different animals (not accessible to players, so they can't take them), so if people wanted to let's say kill a hundred cows, they wouldn't have to have a them loaded in all the time or breed them endlessly, but just go to the place, spawn the cows and kill them. This would probably make the gaming experience worse for some players as this method of obtaining items or experience might be the most efficient, but it can be quite boring aswell in my opinion.

I asked on TS if people wanted to add some other things.
Atreyu and Stormmy mentioned the Twilight Forest mod and Mystcraft would be a nice touch once the update hits and the lag is stable enough for them.

For now these are the things I could gather. Thanks for the thread!

Edited by Guest
Edit: re-read Lellings post and crossed out the map idea and the protection against thievery. (2018/08/18)

A shopping district between Spawn and Lagborough.

It will basically be a path way between the two and will have rough demarcated spots for player shops. Some have tons of wheat or crops, others have redstone some may have services. We can basically get rid of all the things we don't want/need and make a profit from it. That said we can either have a theme for builds or have each shop as individual as the person or the item being sold. This also incentivizes players to travel to spawn on a regular basis and perhaps even interact with one another more. Later on we could even add an economy mod?

TLDR:

Area of land for Black Lion Trading Company in Minecraft to facilitate player to player trades via player owned shops

12 hours ago, Wapervolk said:

Some sort of resource world/area for gathering materials to prevent the destuction of the original landscape, personal portals, some way (not neccessarily easy or quick way) to obtain hard to find and not replenishable items (such as saddles, shulker boxes, elytras etc.) was mentioned on Discord aswell earlier I think.

I asked about this since before launch ^^ A desert and mesa where people can go crazy with harvesting would be helpful. 

Saddles count as treasures in fishing, you get more than enough with a good pick. The end is technically infinite (not really, but actually getting to the point where it doesn't generate anymore is... impractical), so if the world border gets removed you'll be able to explore and get more shulker shells and elytras. We could use the Hermitpack datapack, making the shulkers drop more shells and have it be a guaranteed drop, as well the make the elytra a dragon drop, so you can just kill the dragon for one if you don't feel like exploring.

After we get to have spigot: MobLimiter plugin (only leaves a configurable number of mobs per type per chunk on unload), and configure passive mob drops to give more per mob so people aren't as encouraged to breed hundreds of them for basic resources.

Right now you can feel the difference in tick rate when people who have a lot of animals bred log on/off.

(I realize I also have some, it could be avoided if passive mob drops were increased. This isn't aimed at anyone specific, it's just Minecraft performance being derp.)

Also regarding server mods: those would require clients to have those mods, too. This includes third-party launchers. Based on my experience with the modding scene (modders destroying worlds when another mod is ran in parallel, putting in code that bans specific players from servers, various malware, lame DRM and other childish stuff), I strongly oppose to 1. requiring people to install launchers that send various data to third parties or 2. run any mods that aren't built at install time from open source code.

Also if you're looking for some performance/QoL mods, this repo has some. They're all open source. For starters, all this is just one mod.?

Edited by rune
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, vatik said:

(I predict mass devastation within a week.)

I don't know how many stacks of kelp I have burnt to smelt the stone for my bunny statue. That alone would likely kill the server.

But it could be fun ?

Another cool thing would be if leaves would decay faster or immediately after removing all the logs from the tree. This would help people who chop down trees a lot.

On 18/08/2018 at 23:18, Wapervolk said:

Some sort of resource world/area for gathering materials to prevent the destuction of the original landscape, personal portals, some way (not neccessarily easy or quick way) to obtain hard to find and not replenishable items (such as saddles, shulker boxes, elytras etc.) was mentioned on Discord aswell earlier I think.

On 19/08/2018 at 12:13, Minithra said:

I asked about this since before launch ^^ A desert and mesa where people can go crazy with harvesting would be helpful. 

Saddles count as treasures in fishing, you get more than enough with a good pick. The end is technically infinite (not really, but actually getting to the point where it doesn't generate anymore is... impractical), so if the world border gets removed you'll be able to explore and get more shulker shells and elytras. We could use the Hermitpack datapack, making the shulkers drop more shells and have it be a guaranteed drop, as well the make the elytra a dragon drop, so you can just kill the dragon for one if you don't feel like exploring.

Right now we are trying to add non-replenishable items (like saddles, shulker boxes, elytras, hearts of the sea and totems of undying) into the game via hidden treasures and as rewards for special events - this adds more of them into the game without really making them farmable.

We have been talking about an idea to create a choose-your-own reward type of thing, and give currency as a reward for participating in / winning special events and creating NPCs which will then take this special currency in return for different items as well, but that is still in early concept phase! But keep an eye out ^^

The idea of adding sand / clay pits that refill is also something pretty cool, and we're thinking of adding them as part of the building challenges - check out the thread here:

On 18/08/2018 at 23:18, Wapervolk said:

If a lot of animals cause the lags, a solution could be an animal farm which had lots of spawn eggs of different animals (not accessible to players, so they can't take them), so if people wanted to let's say kill a hundred cows, they wouldn't have to have a them loaded in all the time or breed them endlessly, but just go to the place, spawn the cows and kill them. This would probably make the gaming experience worse for some players as this method of obtaining items or experience might be the most efficient, but it can be quite boring aswell in my opinion.

On 19/08/2018 at 12:56, rune said:

After we get to have spigot: MobLimiter plugin (only leaves a configurable number of mobs per type per chunk on unload), and configure passive mob drops to give more per mob so people aren't as encouraged to breed hundreds of them for basic resources.

Right now you can feel the difference in tick rate when people who have a lot of animals bred log on/off.

(I realize I also have some, it could be avoided if passive mob drops were increased. This isn't aimed at anyone specific, it's just Minecraft performance being derp.)

We'll be looking into that plugin, thanks for the suggestion! ^^

On 01/09/2018 at 17:12, Lelling said:

Right now we are trying to add non-replenishable items (like saddles, shulker boxes, elytras, hearts of the sea and totems of undying) into the game via hidden treasures and as rewards for special events - this adds more of them into the game without really making them farmable.

Why not remove the world border? It shouldn't have any noticeable effect on the server now that it's running spigot, and would allow treasure hunting for most of the items, actually finding mansions (and the special mobs in there) and enjoying the exploration in the game the way it was meant to, rather than relying on manually placed/spawned items

• Upvote 1

problem I see with no world border(as awesome as the idea is, endless  exploring and all) at all is that if someone builds something that stresses the server that causes lag or just takes forever to load  chunks  and  chunks away then just getting there and it could cause issues I dont have the best pc  or internet and even my best days I lag horribly  and often get  rubber banded  back into  clumps of mobs that i can barely escape with half a heart even with good gear. Also,with the fixes I do notice an improvement in  the  way I feel disruption in play less. Most of it is client lag but I'd get really sad if I were unable to play at all due to some unforseen issue or whatnot that could come up and I often do not exceed alot of animals really out of  conciseness thinking of  causing issues for anyone else in probability. It's a good idea  it just needs to be thought out a bit.

I also am against a borderless world. Without actively looking for people you rarely run into someone.

I would instead like to see something to incentivise people to build together as a community. i.e. build the medieval or an underwater hub together.

On 19/08/2018 at 12:56, rune said:

On 01/09/2018 at 17:21, Lelling said:

We'll be looking into that plugin, thanks for the suggestion! ^^

[4:24 PM] Styxx: Yeah I don't think there's much lag left. We can ask people to be reasonable and not overdo it, but also not have to kill farming since we all need wool, leather, etc..

We certainly hope we are not "killing farming" by simply implementing a plugin which prevents people from grouping up animals into very tiny pens or having hundreds of them. The maximum entity limit is a resource, just like any other resource in the game, and no player is entitled to have more than everyone else. We're simply trying to keep things fair ^^ 

On 28/08/2018 at 14:51, Wapervolk said:

Another cool thing would be if leaves would decay faster or immediately after removing all the logs from the tree. This would help people who chop down trees a lot.

It's a-coming!

5 hours ago, Lelling said:

We certainly hope we are not "killing farming" by simply implementing a plugin which prevents people from grouping up animals into very tiny pens or having hundreds of them. The maximum entity limit is a resource, just like any other resource in the game, and no player is entitled to have more than everyone else. We're simply trying to keep things fair ^^ 

Understood, and I think most of us are trying to keep it fair and under control.

But being in game every day, with most regular players, I do realize that we had little information about what exactly is planned, the number of animals allowed, the definition of "small space" etc... 

Some players are concerned, others don't care. I just decided to speak up and ask ^__^

3 hours ago, Styxx said:

I do realize that we had little information about what exactly is planned, the number of animals allowed, the definition of "small space" etc... 

Some players are concerned, others don't care. I just decided to speak up and ask ^__^

That we are installing this plugin was so far only mentioned in an offhand comment that was about a completely separate update to our server. In that comment, I also said that we will be making a more concrete announcement about the plugin at a later time. So, there's no need for people to speculate about things we haven't said until an announcement has actually been made. ? 

However, we have decided we will not be giving out specific numbers or directly describing the functionality of the plugin. The moment we do so, we risk having to deal with people who will find a way to exploit the understanding of the mechanic and ignore the reason why the plugin has to be implemented in the first place, and then either have to change the restrictions, which affects everyone on the server, or manually deal with each such situation.

What's that thing @Doomsday says? "Live by the spirit, not the letter of the law."

• Cookie 1

The functionality of the plugin is easily googled so it's not like people can't go and find out.

That said, I can't come up with any viable exploit model related to passive mobs. The only way to grief others would be to put passive mobs underground or in the air, in the same chunk the original pen is. And even this is dubious at best, since AFAIK MobLimiter doesn't prioritize by elevation, so eventually, due to the nature of random distribution, the griefer's mobs will be despawned if the original player keeps breeding theirs. Way too much work when the griefer can just kill the animals and be on their way.

To my knowledge, this scenario never happened on mcpublic servers where MobLimiter was used extensively. And it's not like you want to deal with griefers by withholding information and hoping they won't cause as much harm. Just ban them and /lb player griefer followed by /lb rollback ??

Edited by rune
formatting

18 minutes ago, rune said:

The functionality of the plugin is easily googled so it's not like people can't go and find out.

However, the specific ranges & numbers are a setting that is specific to the server, and giving out specifics means people could very easily figure out how to get the most mobs in the smallest area without them being culled. Which is not the point of why we're getting the plugin.

Hmm, I feel like I should explain some stuffs ?

It runs the check per chunk. This can't be changed, and it means one has to dedicate more space if one wants to have more persistent animals (which kinda makes sense as far as real-life analogy goes). People will often have the maximum allowed number of mobs per chunk because that's the state this mod is trying to enforce.

The mod has a command that straight out tells those limits to the player. It's also trivial to test for them due to how the mod works (it doesn't actively prevent animals from breeding). IMO this should be a publicly accessible information so people don't constantly ask where their animals went. ?

Here's how this is set up on mcpublic (IIRC): upon chunk unload, all except X animals of a given type get removed. To offset for this change and make farming viable again, passive mobs grow up in 10 seconds and drop like 3x the amount of resources they normally do. The approach promoted by the admins is to breed the animals, wait a bit, and kill them for drops. People can still have their free range chickens, they just have to have an actual range. ?

Edited by rune

On 22/09/2018 at 16:50, rune said:

Hmm, I feel like I should explain some stuffs ?

It runs the check per chunk. This can't be changed, and it means one has to dedicate more space if one wants to have more persistent animals (which kinda makes sense as far as real-life analogy goes). People will often have the maximum allowed number of mobs per chunk because that's the state this mod is trying to enforce.

The mod has a command that straight out tells those limits to the player. It's also trivial to test for them due to how the mod works (it doesn't actively prevent animals from breeding). IMO this should be a publicly accessible information so people don't constantly ask where their animals went. ?

Here's how this is set up on mcpublic (IIRC): upon chunk unload, all except X animals of a given type get removed. To offset for this change and make farming viable again, passive mobs grow up in 10 seconds and drop like 3x the amount of resources they normally do. The approach promoted by the admins is to breed the animals, wait a bit, and kill them for drops. People can still have their free range chickens, they just have to have an actual range. ?

That is not the plugin we are using ? 

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org