Lelling

Minecraft Ideas & Suggestions thread

On 22/09/2018 at 12:20, Lelling said:

However, we have decided we will not be giving out specific numbers or directly describing the functionality of the plugin. The moment we do so, we risk having to deal with people who will find a way to exploit the understanding of the mechanic and ignore the reason why the plugin has to be implemented in the first place, and then either have to change the restrictions, which affects everyone on the server, or manually deal with each such situation.

Why not say "Don't have more than X animals in a pen?"  What's wrong with that?

7 hours ago, Minithra said:

Why not say "Don't have more than X animals in a pen?"  What's wrong with that?

Cause it hasn't worked, people have been asked from the beginning to be reasonable with the amount of animals they keep.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doomsday said:

Cause it hasn't worked, people have been asked from the beginning to be reasonable with the amount of animals they keep.

Yeah, I meant along with having the plugin to keep numbers sane. I asked in the context of Lelling saying no specific info was going to be shared. Prevents people wasting resources breeding and allows for proper planning of farms if they know the number at which they'll start losing animals.

37 minutes ago, Minithra said:

Yeah, I meant along with having the plugin to keep numbers sane. I asked in the context of Lelling saying no specific info was going to be shared. Prevents people wasting resources breeding and allows for proper planning of farms if they know the number at which they'll start losing animals.

The problem with that is that the plugin's functionality isn't "X animals in a pen", it's a more complex series of different limitations, some dealing with specific types of entities while others affecting all entities, each at different scales (and even different ways of calculating what an area / group of animals is), so even if we wanted to, we couldn't just give a straightforward answer, and I can't say something like "the limitation is between 10 to 100 animals depending on density, distance, and variety of entity type".

The settings we have planned are super lenient and are mainly a deterrent for large-scale farming and super cramped (like 3x3) pens, and they should have minimal impact on most of the players' pens we've seen, but there is potentially no maximum amount of creatures a person could have if they know how to position their pens to avoid the plugin's functionality. Meaning if it got properly figured out, we would have to make the limits stricter, and then they actually would affect the everyday regular person who just wants a andful of cows for their regular needs.

I get the resources concern. I think when it comes to using resources for breeding, players should notice when they stop getting new mobs, but I can check with Acorn to see how exactly that functions, because I wouldn't want players to be able to breed hundreds of cows only to log in the next day and find they've been culled down to 20 or something. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way - I think you'd just stop getting new cows. Will make sure.

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org