Lelling

Making a Hexagon-based town in Cities: Skylines

Hexagons are my favorite shape, and I decided I'd make a town based on them in Cities: Skylines!

I spend a while figuring out exactly how to do it, but then I just decided to start making roads of equal length with 120° angles, and voila, hexagons!

20191003014058_1.jpg

Although there does seem to be a tiny margin of error, despite the angle text saying 120°, which results in some occasional discrepancies, but nothing too major ? 

20191003040048_1.jpg

It's not the clearest screenshot but I might get some more down the line ? I started with the little district on the right, and the industrial section on the left, and then expanded when the demand for homes increased!

This map has no rivers, so unfortunately I had to sacrifice one of the lakes to pump sewage into it, but cleaning it will be a priority later ? Right now I'm planning to make the middle bit in between the three sections into a giant nature reserve, which I think will make it look really nice! Then, the next thing I'll be looking into is expanding the city with some high density living spaces, for which I might use slightly bigger hexagons, but I'm not really sure how exactly I'm going to be pulling that off. These hexagons, although quaint, do have the problem that they're too small for certain more important buildings.

I've extended the city a bit, with some high density housing, and bigger hexagons!

20191005024515_1.jpg

I think looks-wise, it still leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm not a very patient person ?

But one thing I always like doing in Cities: Skylines is just fly around in free camera mode and take lovely screenshots. It's so relaxing ?

20191005014616_1.jpg

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org