Lelling

Eurovision!

So anyone who's spoken with me for more than half a second knows that I am unironically a huge fan of the Eurovision Song Contest ? I like what it represents, I like the drama and shenanigans, I like the event that it is, with millions of people having memories of watching it with friends or family, people all over Europe coming together for this one event that we can all talk about, and, importantly, I also like a lot of the songs!

While Eurovision 2020 is still more than half a year away, what Eurovision fans term "Eurovision season" is already on ?! Pretty much the only first rule for Eurovision song entries is that they must be original pieces of music that have not been released or performed before September of the year preceding the event, and we'll soon be seeing the first national selections happen! I tend to follow this stuff and there's always something interesting, or at the very least, silly to share with people so I figured I might as well start a thread about this ?  

Some of the stuff we know so far about 2020: 

• It will be on May 16 2020, in the Rotterdam Ahoy arena. Semifinals are May 12 and 14.
  • The beloved Jon Ola Sand will be stepping down as Executive Supervisor after 2020, ending the 10 year sandy era. There's no word on who might replace him.
  • A bunch of song / artist announcement dates have already gone up - earliest song announcement date so far is Albania with December 2019
  • Belgium is the first country to select and announce their artist - Hooverphonic! They selected them internally (i.e., without a public voting selection). Their song will be announced in February.

A little fun fact about the Belgian selection, which is somewhat unique at Eurovision. Belgium is represented by two national broadcasters - Flemish VRT, and French-speaking RTBF. and they alternate which broadcaster sends the representative. Hooverphonic is being sent by the Flemish broadcaster.

Imo this is something that the UK might want to consider, since various Scottish and Welsh national broadcasters have expressed interest in participating, and the BBC's own entries have very much circled the proverbial drain in terms of scores for the last 20 years ? 

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org