Slaywright

Forums/calendar issue topic

This topic will function as a bit of a hub of forum and calendar related technical stuff. Feel free post issues you find, ask questions, or generally comment on the functional side of things here and we'll see what we can do to mend any irregularities. You can also directl message issue reports to me.

Known issues with the webiste in general:

• The site is reported not secure by your browser. If you access the site through https://www.theopencommunity.org/ you can see the certificate is valid but not fully verified due to user generated content still being linked over an unsecure connection. We are working to resolve the issue, but such content (which an open discussion forum largely consists of) is harder to moderate on this point.
  • The forms on our website have started misbehaving. We are aware of several issues of forms not correctly reporting they were sent. The forms are actually submitted once told to do so, but the user does not always get a confirmation that they were.

Known issues with the calendar:

• Repetitive events appear on the calendar above one-time events (we'll just call it a feature!)
    • Our solution has been to schedule one-time events as repetitive, but make them stop repeating immediately after they happen.

We're working on resolving any issues as soon as possible. Some issues may not be fixable by us and need an update from the creators of the the theme we are using or for the forum software itself, and thus will take longer to be resolved.

.com address as well as "OC HOME" button on top of forum used to lead to OC homepage from where one could go to many sub-pages (like general info, member guilds, TS info) as well to forum homepage.
.org address and aforementioned button are leading to forum homepage and I have no clue how to reach those non-forum sites.

Is this a bug or those pages weren't that much useful and won't be brought back?

Edited by Nasurelin
missing left parenthesis D:

Oh yeah, the rest of the site is unavailable as we need to rebuild all of it. The forums and the calendar are the only things accessible right now.

20.1.2017 - Fixed issues with forms

There appear to have been some... irregularities with some of our forms recently. They should all be in order now but if you ran into oddities or have submitted a form in the last couple of days and believe it may not have quite worked out, you can either contact me or resubmit the form. We've done our best to verify the Feedback form has been functioning as advertised, but issues with the others may have fallen through the cracks. Sorry about any inconvenience.

Is there any way to filter out Triple Trouble from the Core Tyria calendar? I don't do TT, which takes up most of that calendar, but would be interested in the other Core events.

5 minutes ago, kazerniel said:

Is there any way to filter out Triple Trouble from the Core Tyria calendar? I don't do TT, which takes up most of that calendar, but would be interested in the other Core events.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to filter out one specific event, however, since a recurring event is only posted once, if you follow the Core Tyria calendar, this will mean you will only get announcements for Triple Trouble very rarely, in cases of it being rescheduled on the calendar. The bulk of the announcements will be for one-time Core Tyria events. You can set your notifications to arrive either as notifications on the website or via e-mail, and can simply ignore the TT ones ^^

22 minutes ago, Lelling said:

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to filter out one specific event, however, since a recurring event is only posted once, if you follow the Core Tyria calendar, this will mean you will only get announcements for Triple Trouble very rarely, in cases of it being rescheduled on the calendar. The bulk of the announcements will be for one-time Core Tyria events. You can set your notifications to arrive either as notifications on the website or via e-mail, and can simply ignore the TT ones ^^

Sorry I didn't clarify, I'm subsribed to the calendars via Google Calendar, so the TT events do fill up most of the Core Tyria one, like on the website version :( I guess I could temporarily subsribe, copy the other events to my own celandar and unsubscribe, the only downside is that I won't see newly created one-off events or if anything changes with the regular ones.

Just now, kazerniel said:

Sorry I didn't clarify, I'm subsribed to the calendars via Google Calendar, so the TT events do fill up most of the Core Tyria one, like on the website version :( I guess I could temporarily subsribe, copy the other events to my own celandar and unsubscribe, the only downside is that I won't see newly created one-off events or if anything changes with the regular ones.

Oh yeah, when it comes to exporting the calendar, there unfortunately isn't much that can be done. Copying over the other events would indeed not be a suitable solution to the issue while maintaining functionality. The only solution I see would be to put Triple Trouble on its own calendar - but as we plan to have more regular every-day events, this is not a feasible solution either. :(

Or I don't know, would it work to have a daily events calendar, and one with the weekly/one-off ones?

Btw how does the subscription you first talked of work? I only found an RSS feed, but TT shows up there every day too.

1 minute ago, kazerniel said:

Or I don't know, would it work to have a daily events calendar, and one with the weekly/one-off ones?

We used to have a calendar for regular events and one for one-off events, however, it proved that having calendars by content accessibility rather than recurrence frequency worked better for most people.

2 minutes ago, kazerniel said:

Btw how does the subscription you first talked of work? I only found an RSS feed, but TT shows up there every day too.

Following the calendar works like following any forum, thread, or database - a notification is sent whenever new content (such as a new event) is posted. The notification can be set to either be a notification through the website, or through e-mail, in the notification settings.

This feature is most useful for one-time events, since technically each repeatable event is only created once - when it's added to the calendar. This means you would, for example, get a single notification if a new Triple Trouble was scheduled to happen every week on Tuesdays, the first time it would be scheduled. That way, you can immediately take note of events you're interested in, whether they are one-time or recurring, and ignore the rest.

The forms on our website have started misbehaving. We are aware of several issues of forms not correctly reporting they were sent. The forms are actually submitted once told to do so, but the user does not always get a confirmation that they were. We're working on a fix ^^

Hi, I have that issue again where Friday's Dragon Stand appears 3 times in the HoT Google Calendar sub link for some reason (the Monday one only appears once). I tried unsubscribing and resubscribing and it still persists.

Edit: just checked back in time, it started to double from 27 April, and started to triple from 8 June.

Edited by kazerniel

6 hours ago, kazerniel said:

looking at the dates you state, thats when new 'repeating events' have been created. it appears the google calendar feed isn't respecting the 'repeat until X date' condition, and not ending the repeat.

This is an issue that seems to be hard-coded into IPS. I can look into it or attempt to create a workaround but it's highly possible there's not much I'll be able to do. ? 

I guess I can try to do the same as I was doing for the core calendar, copy the relevant recurring events into a personal calendar, and subscribe on the website to any calendar changes.