Lelling

Lelling's Youtube Recs!

So, I watch a LOT of video essays. They're a wholesome and high quality source of entertainment compared to the 3-minute clickbait factory that dominates Youtube, and I just think they're a lot of fun. 

I often recommended them during events but we could never really follow up or discuss them cause when you're chatting with people in voice, you can't just go "OK brb watching this 50-minute video about the history and current state of the Avatar theme park", but I figured this is a much better way to share something, and then peeps can just watch it on their own time. ? 

I figured it could be fun to share a cool / funny / interesting video every week or every two weeks, and then peeps can reply and chat about it or even recommend some similar videos or other videos by the same person and just have a blast doing it?

So, while I do love to go into more deep and thought-provoking videos, to get us started on this journey, I thought I'd start with the very first video I saw of one of my fave Youtubers - Jenny Nicholson! Out of the ones I currently have in my "to share" brain list, she's the one that's most focused on just entertainment value, and doesn't really get political or too deep, which is nice and entertaining.

Strap in and get ready to embark on a journey through time, space, and one man's quest to fill in a lot of dead air while live on national television.

Oh my god I think the video above is the first you sent me of Jenny and it was SUCH a journey. ? It just KEEPS GETTING BETTER. Every time you're like "Okay, this is the worst a reality show can be" something ELSE happens, it's like a gift that keeps on giving. 

Hella approved!

• Like 1

Just now, Pippin said:

Oh my god I think the video above is the first you sent me of Jenny and it was SUCH a journey. ? It just KEEPS GETTING BETTER. Every time you're like "Okay, this is the worst a reality show can be" something ELSE happens, it's like a gift that keeps on giving. 

Hella approved!

Good luck to you but you have been eliminated.

oh man, the amount of injuries is crazy! I'm surprised it wasn't halted after that first challenge! And that punishment for being the least favourite - "now you can't eat for 24 hours" so harsh!

4 hours ago, StevieTV said:

oh man, the amount of injuries is crazy! I'm surprised it wasn't halted after that first challenge! And that punishment for being the least favourite - "now you can't eat for 24 hours" so harsh!

I like to think it shows a glimpse into our dystopian future where social media presence is used as currency, and through sheer coincidence, the writers of the show just accidentally predicted what happens to unpopular people ? 

OK it's time for another pick - here's a short video from one of my favorite sentient soybeans, Hbomberguy, on the subject of ludonarrative. It's a really cool video and one of the first of his that I watched ? 

Oh hey, it's time for another video! This one is from ColdFusion, a channel with one of the chillest voices I've ever heard. Dagogo makes really cool videos, usually about new technology and related topics.

This is his newest one on the spoopy new Google Stadia! (I have to say I'm not used to him using such clickbaity thumbnails ? )

Honestly, Stadia and cloud gaming in general fills me with a ton of dread ? It's always concerning when too many things become a subscription service rather than we get to actually own them.

It's time for a new thing aaah! This time I've got something a little bit more serious! ? Something which I think is very topical when it comes to discussions about edgy humor, freedom of speech, etc.

This is a really good video, and I've heard good things about NonCompete before, but never actually checked out the channel prior to having this pop up in my recommendations. 10/10 would recommend watching this vid!

After a conversation with @Doomsday I remembered this amazingly funny Jenny video and I thought I should share it ? 

The Crimes of JK Rowling

A recommendation of a slightly less known Youtuber, Rowan Ellis. I find her videos extremely informative and well researched, 10/10 would recommend!

Not a video essayist, but one of my favorite new youtube discoveries is the channel Worldbuilding Notes! The creator is amazingly creative and talented, and the videos she makes are super interesting and definitely active those creative brain cells if you ever find yourself in a creative slump ? 

And now for something completely different ? 

There's a great new channel done by Hank Green called Journey to the Microcosmos, and it's just a really great dive into the world of microscopic organisms! It's all just videos of microscopic footage with a voiceover, usually describing one specific facet of this world that is everywhere around (and inside) of us!? It's a really great channel and I would definitely recommend checking it out!

I'm going to link their most popular video here - on Stentors! One of the coolest single-celled organisms I've ever learned about ? 

There's this great video series titled "The Alt-Right Playbook", by Innuendo Studios, basically going through some of the tools and mechanisms the alt-right uses to organise, recruit, and spread their ideology.

But the first 4 minutes of this video touch on another topic - the mainstreaming of queer culture. I thought of it as it was just National Coming Out Day, and I think this video actually describes the importance of visibility really well.

P.S.: Thanks to @Pippin for recommending this series to me ? 

I just discovered Huntress X Thompson and I'm already in love with her takes. Especially the one on Paradox, and this one about Dwarf Fortress! She's a less known Youtuber so I figured I'd post the video here ? 

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org