Sign in to follow this  
Susimusta

PvE DPS Dagger/Warhorn Tempest (Not longer meta, still functional 10/2016)

Since the damage nerf to Overload Air, this build is no longer a valid option for Raids, since the Staff build is just overall always better. This build requires the Tempest specialization.

Equipment

Full Berserker's gear (Power/Precision/Ferocity), ascended stat combination name is [Zojja's.. ] 

Berserker's accessories, rings, neck and backpiece

Berserker's Dagger (main-hand) & Berserker's Warhorn (off-hand)

Runes / Sigils

Armor: [Superior Rune of Scholar] x6 

Weapons: [Superior Sigil of Force] & [Superior Sigil of Air] (Doesn't matter which one to off-hand, which to main)

Traits

DaggerhornTempestTraits.png

1st line: Fire: Burning Precision , Pyromancer's Training , Persisting Flames

2nd line: Air: Ferocious Winds , Aeromancer's Training , Fresh Air

3rd line: Tempest: Unstable Conduit , Harmonious Conduit , Elemental Bastion

(As you may notice, the only difference to the Staff-Build, is changing the last trait in Air to Fresh Air)

Utility Skills

DaggerhornTempestUtiAir.png

Healing Skill (6): "Wash the Pain Away!",  Open Utility Skills (7,8,9): "Feel the Burn!", Glyph of Storms, Signet of Fire. Situationally you might want to use Conjure Frost Bow (For Crowd control, damage on big targets or Triple Trouble event), Conjure Lightning Hammer (Triple Trouble) or Lightning Flash (for mobility) 

Elite Skill: Glyph of Elementals (for normal DPS rotation) or Conjure Fiery Greatsword (for mobility).  

Practice

1. Begin the combat in Air (F2), so that you have Air Overload ready. While running to your target, cast Glyph of Storms (Lightning Storm)

2. Once near the target Overload in Air (F3) and Shout "Feel the burn" (utility, doesn't interrupt your cast so use it while channeling Overload)

3. Lighting orb (5)

4. Switch to Fire (F1) > Glyph of Elementals (if available) > Burning Speed (3) > Wildfire (5, off cooldown every second time you switch to Fire)

5. Switch back to Air (F3), Overload Air > Lightning Orb (5) > Lightning Whip (Auto-attack 1) until Fire (F1) comes off cooldown

-> Repeat steps 4-5 until the end of time. Use "Feel the Burn!", Glyph of Storms (Air) and Glyph of Elementals (Fire) whenever on cooldown.

Hint! Keep "Feel the Burn!" always on cooldown, it's a shout so it doesn't interrupt your casts (Even Overloads). You can also cast it in Fire if it happens to be off cooldown. Whenever switching to Fire, you only want to use 3 and 5 quickly (and Glyph of Elementals if off cd), then just quickly switch back to Air. Your Air skills deal more damage.

Hope this was useful for you! Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Edited by Susimusta
  • Upvote 1

It's worth noting that on foes with small hitboxes, this build is about equivalent to the Staff build you posted in the other guide - I won't for sure say if it does more or less damage, but I think with the recent patch to Fresh Air that this build does slightly more damage on these small targets like the first raid wing's Vale Guardian and Sabetha.

For big enemies, like the first raid wing's Gorseval, the Staff build is superior by virtue of hitting their stuff way more times than they can do on small targets. Staff also makes sense against most world bosses (big targets) and in general whenever you need a bit of range.

Oh, and this build is also way more fun to play than Staff. Give it a try. It's amazing.

Yas. On Gorseval Staff-ellys are also usually in charge of clearing the Dark blobs around. :3

Edit: These specifics aren't mentioned in the build itself simply since we didn't want to do a "raid build guide" (as are not any of our other guides) but more just an all-around one. :) 

Edited by Susimusta

Mhm, that's an example of when range is nice to have.

I'm not 100% sure about Sabetha, as I see Tempests usually being in charge of handling the cannons... while I assume Fresh Air builds would have no more trouble with these than the Staff does, the only people I've seen doing it were Staff Tempests, so maybe there's some hidden trick.

The reason for that is that Sabetha uses the flame AoE thingy that she spits from the Flamethrower on the ground to the target that's farthest from her. If there's nobody (say, 2 staff tempests, always at least one since the other one is taking the turret out), then she aims them just on the melee and well.. they deal a lot of damage. ^^

Oh, I know about that, and it makes sense to have the Tempest handle that, but for example the Druid can also do that job, so it's not as though Staff is a must for Sabetha.

In the end, though, I think both builds are very powerful, and a good Tempest should look to learn both of them. Fortunately, they share a lot of the gearing, and you can get a Warhorn from the specialization collection anyways, so setting up so you can run both on demand is pretty smooth.

Edited by Nag

Sign in to follow this  

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org