Susimusta

Wurm Egg-Blocking Guardian

This is a specific Wurm egg-blocker build for Guardians, and the one I have been using on mine (tested and working). You can use the Dragonhunter specialization, but it's not necessary.

Equipment

Stat-wise the equipment in this build doesn't really matter (you can go with the full-berserker's for example), however you want to bring a Sword (main-hand) / Shield (off-hand) combination. For offset you can use for example Greatsword to use in the burn phases and 2nd phase of the Wurm (but don't bring Hammer). The Veteran wurms around the Wurm sometimes like to aggro on characters with high Toughness, however this is not always the case.

Runes / Sigils

Again, you can go with these if you want, but it's not super meaningful:

Armor: [Superior Rune of Scholar] x6 

Weapon: [Superior Sigil of Force] & [Superior Sigil of Air]

Traits

eggblockingguardtraits.png.8dcb573aceea3

Virtues: Master of Consecrations (Consecrations last longer and have reduced recharge) , Supreme Justice , Indomitable Courage. 

This is the only necessary trait-line because of the first trait and it's effect on the Wall of Reflection. 

(The other trait-lines are by your choosing; I use Dragonhunter and Valor.)

Utility Skills

eggblockingguardskills.png.cb119496ad008

Healing Skill (6): Shelter Open Utility Skills (7,8,9): Wall of Reflection (a must-have), "Retreat!" (for refreshing aegis) , "Stand your ground!" (for group stability) Elite Skill: Renewed Focus (for blocking husk / aoe if necessary), or "Feel my Wrath!" (for quickness in burnphase)

For Open Utility Skills, with Wall of Reflection, you can also take (8,9): Hallowed Ground (Stability, long firefield, boon duration), Sanctuary (For additional skill to block projectiles, however I think nowadays this is a bit of an overkill), Bane Signed (for dps)

For second phase you should definitely try to switch your Wall of Reflection/Retreat into Hallowed Ground and Bane Signet, and your Elite skill to "Feel my Wrath!". In 2nd phase you're the king/queen of group stability!

Practice

The core to learning to egg-block is to learn the animations of the Wurm. Your main egg-blocking skills are Wall of Reflection (utility) and Shield of Absorption (shield 5). Basically whenever you see the Wurm doing the spitting animation, you use one of those skills. If the wurm spat out Husks (they flew right through your shield or wall because Husks can only be blocked with Invulnerabilities), you just simply wait for the Wurm to do a second spitting animation and use the one you didn't use yet.

You're positioned inside the Wurm (so that your whole character model is just inside it, looking from the front of the wurm), so dodging it's spins (AoE or Wide spin) is very important, however as a Guardian, you can cheat around this a bit with your Aegis. Make sure you dodge them if your Aegis isn't on. The Wurm always opens up with a wide spin when the combat begins (Cobalt wurm and Crimson wurm always do a wide spin after a burn phase too, Amber can also spit eggs or husks right after burnphase). From there on, your Egg-blocking begins.

The spit on Eggs has a cooldown-timer of 40 seconds (The husk spit has 90 seconds), so what it means, is that your Wall of Reflection is always off cooldown when the Egg-spit happens, unless you've misused it on some other animation. I like to mouse-klick my Wall of Reflection, if I know that I'm positioned the right way inside the wurm, but you can also ground-target it so that it goes across your position "slicing the wurm" a bit closer to the front than the middle. Shield of Absorption (shield 5) creates a dome around you, just make sure you don't double-tap the skill or it interrupts the dome.

You do still have a few panic buttons if the Wurm starts to spit and you have both your Shield of Absorption and Wall of Reflection on cooldown: Zealot's Defense (sword 3 - 3 second projectile block), Shelter (Heal - 2 second block) or Renewed Focus (Elite - 3 second block) if you want to block the full spit you will probably need to use a combination of two of these. Usually you'll have a second egg-blocker with you though, that can help you out if this happens. 

Also take into consideration that some of your skills (F1, F2, F3 as well if you're a Dragonhunter) have casting times.

For husk / aoe blocking every 90 seconds you can use Renewed Focus (elite), however this requires you to stand in a more specific spot that is a bit trickier to find and varies a bit depending on the Wurm (cobalt, crimson, amber). Don't block husks unless it's necessary because there's a husk-handling team waiting for them.  

When you enter the burnphase, you can switch to Greatsword. Don't use Symbol of wrath (4) in the beginning of the burnphase, since it's a light field. On Amber wurm, when the burn phase is ending, switch immediately back to sword/shield, especially if your Wall of Reflection is on cooldown, since Amber can spit right after the burn. As said before, the other Wurmheads always do a Wide spin after the burnphase, so just remember to dodge if you don't have your Aegis up.

Try it out!

Sadly there's no speedclear way to learning to egg-block, so just go and try it out yourself. A good way is to go to a low-populated TT map and try blocking as many eggs as you can, or you can join an experienced egg-blocker on an organized wurm. In either case, don't worry about not being perfect at it (even the experienced ones do mistakes sometimes, we're human). It's however a completely different aspect to the Triple Trouble event, and at least in my opinion a lot of fun!

Hope this Guide was of useful and clear enough for you. If you have any further questions, or you would like to try egg-blocking out, don't hesitate to contact Susimusta (on TS / Forums) or in-game Ruuti.2073.

• Upvote 4

Very nice and well made!

For any who might make the same mistakes I used to do, "Wall of Reflection" musn't be cast too far in front of the wurm or it won't absorb all the eggs (the ones on the far left/right might get through).

It might also be worth mentioning that you can swap "Renewed Focus" with "Feel My Wrath" for more dps during the burn phase.

But seriously, this might just be the best eggblocking guide out there.

14 minutes ago, Arvinthir said:

It might also be worth mentioning that you can swap "Renewed Focus" with "Feel My Wrath" for more dps during the burn phase.

If you look close enough, it actually is there listed Under "Utility skills" :3

Anyway thank you! ^^

Nice guide Susi!
I agree on pretty much everything. I personally have different priorities in the utility department,
but everything I use is mentioned so that's just personal preference.. play around with your abilities.

for traits I do use different abilities, namely:

Virtues 3-2-3 (instead of your 3-1-3.. slightly more healing + condition removal if necessary)

And instead of dragonhunter I go for 1-1-2 in xxxx. This is mainly for the reduction of cooldown on renewed focus
(I know, 90 second cooldown on both that and husks makes it perfectly fine for most situations, I don't like the 
just-in-time management there).
    And the toughness from the other traits is enough to let you survive a bit more,
but not grab aggro of any stray wurms in most cases. 

And as Susi said, best way to learn is to practise.

(as my math teacher said: You can't learn to drive a car by watching somebody else drive)

Cheers,

Tharaqon

52 minutes ago, Susimusta said:

If you look close enough, it actually is there listed Under "Utility skills" :3

Whoops, seems I missed that, my bad.

And yeah indeed Tharaqon. And I am in no way saying this is the _best_ Egg-blocking build, but this is the one I've been using with being completely able to solo-egg-block so I think it's good enough for everyone. :)

Teamspeak

We have an open Teamspeak, which can be freely used by guests in need of a practical voice communication solution.

Address: ts.theopencommunity.org